Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Happiness in the Quality Field

I consider happiness as a state of mind. The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open. I want to share my personal observations about happiness experienced during my life's quality journey and the rationale behind my happiness.

1). In my school days, I was most happy when I was challenged by my teachers and professors to achieve greater heights through their high expectations.

2). At various workplaces I was happy because I had great fortune to work with wonderful mentors and coaches. They listened to my ideas, saw merit in them, and provided support in implementing them to achieve value to the organization.

3). In the 1990s, at AT&T Bell Laboratories in Naperville, Illinois, I was happy to coach engineers and managers to become ASQ Certified Quality Engineer (CQE). My Director, John Delatore realized the value of new learnings to improve our effectiveness to serve the customers better. John provided great support to continue training our people. From 1990-1995, over 300 members attended refresher classes, 200 took the CQE exams, and 89 became certified.

4). In 1991-1992, I was leading a team to develop Employee Recognition process at the AT&T Bell Laboratories' Switching Systems Business Unit. I felt happiness when our team's diligent work and recommendations were accepted by the Senior Leadership Team to roll out Employee Recognition process for 6,000 people. 

5). In my quality management and business excellence teaching career since 1993, I felt most happy when my students and executives grasped new concepts, reflected on its use in their workplaces, and were eager to take the new learnings back to their organizations.

6). In my non-profit service since 1970, I felt most happy when we set worthy goals, engaged many like minded people, and accomplished our goals.

7). Since 1988, as a volunteer leader with the American Society for Quality (ASQ), I felt happiness when I worked with enlightened leaders with great vision to move ASQ forward through inclusion. 

In summary, as a quality professional I am happy when challenged with high expectations, work with mentors/ coaches who listen to my ideas and provide support, work with students/ executives who are receptive to apply new learning in their workplaces, when we set worthy goals and accomplish them in non-profits, and when I work with enlightened leaders who encourage inclusion at ASQ.

I welcome your thoughts on happiness in the quality field.

5 comments:

  1. Manubhai, so right. When one shares what one has without any expectation, there is happiness. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bharat, I agree with you about sharing without expectations.

      Thanks.

      Manu

      Delete
  2. Dr. Vora
    Thanks for a different angle to find happiness in professional world where it is most sought after and much needed.
    We spend almost 60-70% of awake time at work and if happiness is achieved there,nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing for teachers should be quality of education forbusiness purposes. finance assignment help online for students are available.

    ReplyDelete